Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Decades Playlist by Jana and Erin: 1950s


Last Thursday of the month means it's time for another playlist with Jana  and Erin - a playlist with a twist.  Not "The" Twist because that song was released in the '60s, so that doesn't make the cut.  Yet.

The 1950s. A time for poodle skirts, sock hops, and soda fountains. Also McCarthyism, the Cold War, and Jim Crow but that's the part that sucked so we're not going to talk about that today. Nope. Instead, we're going to talk about one of the fun parts of the 1950s--the music!

I (Jana) love 50s music. It melts my dark, hard rock loving heart. It's fun and catchy and not at all like anything we have now. When I need a pick-me-up, I'll put on one of my 50s Spotify playlists. It makes me happy. Probably has to do with childhood memories of listening to the music at bar mitzvahs or with my grandparents. But who knows? I just like it. #noshame Hope you guys like some of the songs, too!

This is also the beginning of our through the decades playlist series (think of this as the Time Life version of our playlist series. Anyone else remember the Time Life CD collections? No? Just me?) and thanks to Erin for indulging me in this decade first. 

Songs from "The Day the Music Died" artists:  Sadly, all three of the following artists died in a plane crash in Iowa in February 1959.

Come On, Let's Go by Ritchie Valens (1958):  This video clip is fun, even if the person who uploaded it misspelled the artist's name.



Chantilly Lace by The Big Bopper (1958): "Hellllooooo baaaaaby!" 


Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly (1957): Jana is a big fan of this bespectacled musician's songs.  He appears in our playlists from time to time.




Songs from piano men:

Tutti Frutti by Little Richard (1955): 


Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On by Jerry Lee Lewis (1957):  Let's forget about that whole marrying his teenage cousin part of the story.


Songs by brothers: 

Shout by The Isley Brothers (1959):  The dance scene in Animal House with John Belushi in a toga is one of those iconic cinematic scenes where the perfect song was picked for a movie.  But, that's not this video clip because that was Otis Day and the Knights covering The Isley Brothers.



Bye Bye Love by The Everly Brothers (1957):  fun fact~the daughter of one of these guys is named Erin Everly and that's who inspired Axl Rose to write the lyrics for Sweet Child of Mine.




Songs that make you want to dance (besides the ones already mentioned):

Shake, Rattle, and Roll by Bill Haley and the Comets (1954):


At the Hop by Danny & the Juniors (1957):

Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry:  Since we forgot about Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his cousin, let's forget that Chuck Berry allegedly had cameras installed in the women's toilets filming them while using the restroom at a restaurant he owned...


Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley (1956):  For that slow dance...


Songs that were introduced to me (Erin) by my grandfather:

Your Cheatin' Heart by Hank Williams (1953): 


It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty (1958):  Sometime, in the '70s, my (Erin's) grandparents and extended family went to a Conway Twitty show, and Dolly Parton was the opening act.  My uncle bought me nachos, and I was sitting on his lap eating them.  Then, I puked all over his boots while Conway Twitty was playing.  Awww sweet memories. 


Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash (1955):  Johnny sings "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die."  Johnny was gansta before gangsta rappers.

But, what's great, is songs like these have lasted SIXTY years.  Think about that.  What songs recorded this decade do you think will last as long as these?  What artists will the bloggers of 2076 be sharing? 

8 comments:

  1. awww i love this post! my favourite of your playlist posts so far because i know 90% of these songs. i don't know the conway twitty or hank williams ones, but i know the johnny cash because of the movie.. i know, i know. just didn't grow up with it. but i grew up with the rest - the big bopper, elvis, jerry lee lewis, little richard... love it. this was the soundtrack of my childhood :) at the hop is always in my head! i sing it at random times and KC has started too. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't put this in our post but whenever I head Johnny B. Goode I think of Back to the Future and that football player who retired Marvin Harrison (maybe that was his name)? I called him Marvin Berry because of that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... I hate 50s music. Hahaha! The 1940s is actually my jam :) My father-in-law played in an Elvis band for a long time, though, so I can appreciate this music ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of that original 'rock n roll' is still foot tapping & makes you want to get up & dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many good classics listed here that are still relevant and well known today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Johnny Cash! He was born in Arkansas and so was I, which means we're both awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love Johnny Cash!! I could listen to his music for days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I'm going to educate myself and work my way through the whole list. I wasn't brought up on 'popular' music (my parents were big classical music fans) so the most modern we got was listening to Paul McCartney's Wings. I definitely need this education!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!