Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Early childhood

In honor of my birthday week, I'll share some moments from my early childhood.

If you missed my post about the day of my birth, read it; it's a good one.  My dad claimed I looked like the Gerber baby.  I'd say this is code for chubby; he'd say it's code for perfect.

I have an older brother. My mom liked to dress us in awesome clothes and get our pictures taken. On the back of this particular photo, my mom has written "My favorite".  That's pretty sweet, ain't it?

I liked to eat cake and ice cream. Who doesn't?  Notice the portions were rather large for a child my size.  I've always liked to eat.

Sometimes, life was overwhelming.  Like when your mom insists on taking pictures on a bright and sunny Easter morning and the sun keeps getting in your eyes.

My grandmothers liked to sew for me. Picture days required wearing one of those outfits.  I always felt pretty darn special wearing one of their outfits.  Does anybody wear handmade clothes anymore?

I'm from Texas. Every year we'd get all dressed up and go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.  I was even in the Little Miss Rodeo pageants a couple of years.  I look thrilled to be there.

My dancing career began at age four.  I still love a night of dancing.

I had a pony. I got him for my birthday. His name was Bingo.

I had a short-lived softball career. My aunt was my first coach.  There are some funny stories about my aunt having to tell my mom (her sister) to sit down, shut up, let her coach, and let me play.

This first grader had no idea that her life would be filled with the experiences to come.  We all live with a few could have, should have, would have moments in our life.  It's good to stop, reflect, take notice, and appreciate the fullness of my life in the 42 years I've been fortunate enough to be here.

9 comments:

  1. Awww... great pics!! Happy Birthday week! You do look a little like the Gerber baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what great pictures. & you got a horse for your birthday?! What the Hell?! Not fair! Tee hee!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I don't think people wear handmade clothes anymore. I had a ton of stuff, especially sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute pictures! I love the accompanying stories.

    I do know a bunch of people who sew and make clothes for their kids but it's more of the skirt/pajamas variety than handmade itchy sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing all the pictures! Thank you so much for sharing! I clearly always loved to eat as well. There are so many eating pictures from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You literally got a pony- sorry, horse- for your birthday, haha that's awesome! And I agree, definitely good to take time to appreciate where you've been and how far along you've come sometimes. Adorable pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!!

    And I'm totally jealous that you got a pony.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!